Sunday, October 21, 2007

Melbourne Tour October 2007 - Part 4

View from the rooftop of Victoria Hall

Melbourne City Library


This was one of my favourite gigs in a long time. City Library is in the heart of Melbourne (253 Flinders Lane) and every other Friday lunchtime (12:30-1:30pm) they play host to a live musician upstairs in their gallery. It's called Acoustica in the Gallery and is highly regarded as a singer/songwriters dream gig.

The atmosphere is great and I had a wonderful time sans pa, playing my originals to a very appreciative audience of library goers. Also, the staff are just wonderful - nothing was too much trouble and I felt very well cared for.

If you live in Melbourne or are just visiting, I recommend you check this out.


Collingwood Neighbourhood House Workshops

Not particularly well attended but it really didn't matter - I had an awesome time and got to hang out with two of the nicest folks I've met in the community choir movement in Victoria. Jim & Aina were there for all the right reasons and we had a very productive day.

I've since heard back from them and it seems that some of the strategies I offered were appropriate and I'm looking forward to catching up with them again when I'm back in Melbourne in January 08.

The Neighbourhood House is right at the base of one of the housing towers on Hoddle St and is a really great space. I thought Dawn (who books the space to itinerants like me) was wonderful and really easy to work with. Despite the lack of numbers, I will be using it again for sure.


The Whole Gamut Acoustic Music Society

The last gig of the tour was Sunday afternoon, the first really nice day in ages and a taste of the summer to come. It was really great fun and once again at the Brunswick Hotel.

An old friend of mine, Penelope Swales was supposed to be on the bill but was taken off to Canada while on tour in the US. In her stead, Kate Eve (who I haven't seen for almost 20 years!) was first up and her delightful set was warmly received.

Gluefoot (in solo guise of Derek, his guitar and some electronic magic) was also on the bill and I've been playing the new CD "How Bout You Calm Down"since I've been back in Hobart. I really like the whimsical nature of this gentle music with the probing lyrics and confess I've been getting any visitors to my place to listen to it.

Photos from this gig are on their way, courtesy of Michael, a WGAMS regular, who also graced us with a recitation of some CJ Dennis.

Sadly, the WGAMS is going into indefinite recess at the end of 2007 as the two Peters who run it are both busy professionals and needing a break. That means only two more monthly treats of interesting, original acoustic music - unless some enterprising soul/s take on the challenge!

Peter P kindly drove me to the airport after the gig (that's how well these people treat their artists!) and I was a little sad to be flying out but also very tired after a week of pretty frantic activity. It was a great tour and I'm already looking forward to next month in Adelaide and January back in Melbourne.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home