Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Notes from King Island

Oh how I love being on tour!

Despite the inconveniences of not having particular books, music (and at present extra woollies!) at my fingertips, there’s something deeply satisfying about being on the road.

One thing is that there’s less decisions that need to be made about what top will I wear today, which automatically leads on to less clothes to wash!

On the down side, I have reason to believe there’s a gremlin that lives in my backpack which swells and slowly takes up more room as the days go by. Moving this morning from Parers Hotel to private accomodation in Currie on windswept King Island, I was shocked by how little space there is in my pack. Of course it has nothing to do with all the extra paperwork I’ve accumulated in four days away – not a bit! At this rate, by the time I’ve finished in Melbourne, I should’ve accumulated enough mass to fill three suitcases.

Perhaps the best part is returning to places that you know are winners and King Island is just that. Despite the wild weather and bumpy ride in on Sunday afternoon, this is one of the most welcoming places I’ve experienced on the planet. I really recommend this island for holiday makers of all ages. This is one of the best places for cheese and beef anywhere I've been in the world.

The reason I’m here of course is to continue work with music and drama students at the district high school. It started for me last year when I came over for a week to run a Writers’ in Schools project. For a very small school, isolated in the far western Bass Strait the results that came from that initial week were mind-boggling and material that came from that was presented as part of Tasmanian Living Writers Week.

As wonderful as that was, it’s been even more rewarding for me to return (this is now my third visit) and see/hear new work from existing students as well as advise new writers, performers and composers. Maintaining contact with students has been a continuing joy for me and I’ve also had a student come to Hobart and stay with me as part of her Year 10 work placement, just so she knows how hard it is to be a jobbing musician! I really look forward to seeing some of these kids in years to come and I’m sure I’ll end up going to their gigs, buting their CD's and generally cheering them on.

Meanwhile, I’m getting ready for next week’s gigs……. Even though first up is a singers’ workshop with Sweet Sassafras up in the Dandenongs. If you’re interested be at the Sassafras Primary School at 7:30pm for a couple of hours of fun and general vocal mayhem!!!

Tuesday night I’m headlining at The Good Folk Club (Brunswick Hotel) with support from Canadian singer/songwriter Erika Werry.

More gigs and workshops throughout next week but full tour dates are on MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/debramanskey

Catch you all soon!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home